Thursday, November 03, 2005

Africa is Alive

We listened to a report tonight here at Haggai from the African participants - these are called regional reports. Christianity is really on the move in most of these countries. Quite a few of the African participants are full time employees, which means their evangelism efforts are on their own time. They wore their national dress for their presentation, so it was also very colourful. I am amazed as to how good their English is. It is no problem to converse with them.

We said goodbye today to a volunteer from Grand Rapids, Michigan. He was my Michigan Wolverine partner, so it may be harder to get the only TV which has cable, in the future, for Michigan games. My hope of getting over to Honolulu to an NCAA football game is not going well. They play most of their games Saturday @ 6:15pm and the last flight back is at 9:00pm, which would mean staying overnight. That might be pushing my luck just a little too far. Also, I have not been able to find someone to go with, either at Rotary or here at Haggai, which I find surprising!

I am posting some pictures from the Rotary meeting I attended yesterday. They had a very interesting speaker from Tourism Hawaii. She told us, very bluntly, they don't want more tourists (roads, etc are very busy), but they do want tourists who spend more money. She then showed statistics of how much people from USA West, USA East, Canada, Japan, and Other spend, per person per day. You guessed it, Canada was on the bottom (about $158 per day). Since I was the only one in the room from Canada, I was looking for a side door to make my exit. Oh well! Rotary meetings are held at a "five star" Japanese owned resort - The Diamond Resort - and the lunches are very good, pricey, but good. However, they don't have Loriann Rowe's lemon pie matched though!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information and great pictures, Ralph and Marlene :)

We enjoy the beautiful fall weather here in Canada, sunny and high 18 today.

God bless,

Cecilia and Larry

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday mom!

Love
Steph & Mike

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home