Friday, December 09, 2005

"Keeper of the Koi"

I receieved an opportunity to do a new job this week looking after the fish ponds and waterfalls here at Haggai. Since we are in our final two weeks, the chance to do something different is usually a good opportunity.

There are three fish ponds, five different areas of water and three waterfalls. Because of all the trees and foliage around the water, keeping them presentable is a challenge. Keeping the water levels in sync is also very important. The three fish ponds have a Japanese fish called "Koi". Thus the title "Keeper of the Koi" (these fish are supposedly very expensive - but I understand there is little demand and they are a variety of carp, so the expensive part could be a fish story??

The downside is I have to start work at 6:30am rather than 7:30, and you have to get right in the water to clean some of the debris, algae, and the like. After a couple of hours of this, my hands smell worse than they used to when we kept pigs. But as I tell my colleagues, this new experience will look good on my resume!

We are saying goodbye to partcipants this weekend, so the place is becoming very quiet. Some of the work projects that are now getting started are interesting. Jobs which cannot be completed when we have guests are the order of the day. One is "Spring cleaning" rooms. All furniture is removed, lanai (balcony) carpet is replaced if necessary, air conditioners are reconditioned, broadloom is shampooed, drapes are dry cleaned, and that's all before the ladies and housekeeping move in. Needless to say a room looks quite fresh when the process is completed.

Last night was convocation and our last opportunity to experience this event. Marlene and I had a nice chat with a fellow from India, who explaining to us, that because we have four daughters, and because I have a dimple in my chin, our third daughter will look after us in our old age?? Maybe I missed part of his explanation Amy, but you better get prepared anyway!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

What happened to Katrina???

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if you were reading.........

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home